1 Corinthians 5:3-5 (ESV)
For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. 4 When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus.
This is a fascinating passage filled with all kinds of questions like:
- is he into astro body projection.
- Can Paul really be with these people and in another location at the same time?
- What was it like for Paul? What did he experience?
- What does this mean for us today?
- Can I be present at Community of Hope in worship when I am on vacation?
I think the key in getting this passage is seeing Paul’s understanding and experience of being “in Christ”. It’s a radical existential inclusion into Christ. For Paul when they “assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus,” “with the power of our Lord Jesus” he was there too. The truth is, if I am one with Christ then where Christ is I am also. Check this out. Not only on earth but also in heaven! Ephesians 2:5-6 (by grace you have been saved— and raised up with him and seated with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus). So at this moment Jesus and I are in Brecksville Ohio sitting in a leather chair typing and Jesus and I are seated at the Father’s right hand in heavenly places. I’m getting goose bumps just thinking about this mystic sweet communion.
Grasping this truth is mind transforming and paradigm shifting on a quantum level. Look how far he goes with this. Everything that is Christ’s is ours also. 1 Corinthians 3:21-23 For all things are yours, …the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s. Death and life and present and future ARE MINE! And even the mind of Christ – 1 Corinthians 2:16 “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
So if I’m one then there are some gigundous implication –
- What do you think?
- How do you experience this “mystic sweet communion”
- Is there connection to the Lord’s Supper 1 Corinthians 11:29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.